Thursday, December 20, 2007

Fried Pie
I remember the first time I ate a home made fried pie. It was at the King Biscuit Blues Festival, now the Arkansas Blues and Heritage Festival, in Helena Arkansas. All the nearby churches set up tables of food to fund raise. Baked goods, smoked goods, fried goods, barbecued goods, man they had the goods. I ate my first pigs foot at that festival. A pigs foot can be a wonderful thing if used properly. I never would have found out if it was not for those church ladies. I remember asking one of those ladies what an item was and she said "That's a fried peach pie and you want one." Man, was she right.
But that is not the story I want to tell tonight. I want to talk about fried pizza pie. Who knew? It is a wonderful thing. Health care Guru Ezra Klein had a link on his blog to this. Chef being a fan of the fried food product had to try. The dough ahh, a thing of beauty sweet and nutty. The sauce simple, I encourage every one to play along.
Dough: 1and 1/3 cups of water. 105 degrees to 115 degrees. put in one of those yeast packages. Wait about ten minutes for yeast to dissolve. Add 3and 1/2 cups all purpose flour. Put a teaspoon of salt and sugar. I guessed. Knead for ten minutes. Put dough in a bowl with a little olive oil. Roll whole dough until covered with olive oil. Cover bowl, put in a warm spot 75 to 85 degrees and let rise at least an hour and a half.
Sauce: Take a large clove of garlic and saute in olive oil for a few minutes, until fragrant. Add a number two can of tomatoes.(28 oz) Break up tomatoes as necessary. Add a pinch of salt and sugar. Simmer for two hours.
Toppings: Fresh mozzarella is essential as it melts fast. I had pepperoni an caramelized onions and red peppers.
Putting it all together: Get a frying pan with a 1/4 inch of olive oil hot. Add a piece of dough just smaller than pan. Fry for two three minutes until it is nicely browned. Flip. Add warm sauce cheese and toppings. Cover . Let cook two three minutes. Enjoy!

No comments: