Thursday, May 15, 2008

Crest Is Best


Crest is best, originally uploaded by One Man Walking.

Craig is moving right along in his adventure to walk from the southern end of Japan to the northern end. This reminded me of something my father used to say when hiking ridges. "Get high and stay high." I can not walk a ridge without thinking of my father. here is a bit from his journal.

The morning’s walk was the best so far. Right on the crest and a cloudless day. At first I was pushing through thigh-high wet bamboo leaves but soon the trail cleared and I got moving faster. I reached several peaks but my favourite was Me-yama. From there I could see Ishizuchi-san with its temple perched on top. To the north the land slid away to the plains and beyond that the towns in the inland sea. I could even see islands out there. South of me were more mountains than you can shake a chopstick at right in the middle was this glorious crest.

No comments: