Saturday, July 19, 2008

Backpacking For Trout
A nice article by Don Moyer in the Sun Post.
There's something about being knee-deep in a high alpine meadow stream with towering peaks all around and wildflowers along the creek. The trout are almost always small, but brightly colored and so plentiful that even a klutz like me can catch and release dozens in an afternoon. That evening, I'll fry up a batch of 8 to 9 inch Rainbows, or Brookies mixed in with wild onions and bacon. I doubt if I'll ever eat better than that. Then, after dinner while sitting around the campfire drinking coffee that would be great paint stripper, I fall asleep to the serenade of a pack of coyotes. Yes sir, it's hard to beat a day backpacking for trout.


This graph reminded me of Rocky Top, one of the few long distance hikers that I have seen carrying a fishing rod. He only carried it in the high Sierra section of th Pacific Crest Trail. When people would ask about his fly rod, He would proclaim "Ain't no catch and release, just catch and hot grease!" And smile.

No comments: