Sunday, October 19, 2008

Backpacker Magazine Interviews McCain And Obama
Nothing is really surprising in the interview. I think it would have been nice if they had looked into their records on the environment(McCain/Obama) and did some fact checking. A sample:
Where would you take a BACKPACKER reader hiking?

Obama I remember fondly my childhood visits to Yellowstone, and I would very much like to return there for some autumn hiking.

McCain I would want to take you to Canyon de Chelly in Arizona, which I believe is among our nation's best-hidden natural treasures.


Backpacker also surveyed some of their readers that was more surprising. 47% of their readers think we should be drilling in ANWR now.

And this:

McCain breaks his leg in the Grand Canyon; Obama is lost in the Smokies who survives?

McCain 71

Obama 29

I guess the readers assume that the Vietnamese are there to take McCain to the hospital after he tells them his father is an admiral.

Soon after McCain hit the ground in Hanoi, the code went out the window. "I'll give you military information if you will take me to the hospital," he later admitted pleading with his captors. McCain now insists the offer was a bluff, designed to fool the enemy into giving him medical treatment. In fact, his wounds were attended to only after the North Vietnamese discovered that his father was a Navy admiral. What has never been disclosed is the manner in which they found out: McCain told them. According to Dramesi, one of the few POWs who remained silent under years of torture, McCain tried to justify his behavior while they were still prisoners. "I had to tell them," he insisted to Dramesi, "or I would have died in bed."


No comments: