Sunday, March 01, 2009

Fire More People
The good doctor points to this article about AIG and how poorly it was run. I want more people fired.

At its peak, the A.I.G. credit-default business had a “notional value” of $450 billion, and as recently as September, it was still over $300 billion. (Notional value is the amount A.I.G. would owe if every one of its bets went to zero.) And unlike most Wall Street firms, it didn’t hedge its credit-default swaps; it bore the risk, which is what insurance companies do.

It’s not as if this was some Enron-esque secret, either. Everybody knew the capital requirements were being gamed, including the regulators. Indeed, A.I.G. openly labeled that part of the business as “regulatory capital.” That is how they, and their customers, thought of it.

There’s more, believe it or not. A.I.G. sold something called 2a-7 puts, which allowed money market funds to invest in risky bonds even though they are supposed to be holding only the safest commercial paper. How could they do this? A.I.G. agreed to buy back the bonds if they went bad. (Incredibly, the Securities and Exchange Commission went along with this.) A.I.G. had a securities lending program, in which it would lend securities to investors, like short-sellers, in return for cash collateral. What did it do with the money it received? Incredibly, it bought mortgage-backed securities. When the firms wanted their collateral back, it had sunk in value, thanks to A.I.G.’s foolish investment strategy. The practice has cost A.I.G. — oops, I mean American taxpayers — billions.

I realize some of the management has been fired. Anyone that worked in credit default swaps should be fired and they should be stopped. Anyone who signed off on credit default swaps should be fired. The same with 2a-7 puts. If these things are still going on they need to fire management again and the board of directors again. Also, now that we have spent 150 billion and are heading into the quarter trillion range all stock holders, bond holders, anyone with a financial interset need to be wiped out. They gambled on a poorly managed company and lost.

No comments: