Saturday, June 13, 2009

Moving Slow
I am not in great shape. My feet and ankles hurt more than they have on other trips. I am currently staying at the Mayor of Unionville, New York's house. I am going to start writing up stories and posting them. Short internet time now.
Update: I had a nice long talk with the Mayor. He is no longer the Mayor, but was when he started taking in hikers. He takes in hikers as a labor of love. His wife was sick for many years, and died in 2006, if I recall correctly. He would tell his wife about the hikers he met in town and how interesting they were. And his wife would always say wouldn't it be nice if some one would show us kindness on our travels. If we were far from home and needed a shower or laundry. Wouldn't it be nice. Of course the Mayor said it would be nice. Out of love for his highschool sweetheart, a lady he was married to for 44 years, he takes in hikers.
It is really his story to tell. If you find yourself on the Appalachian Trail in New York, stop by the Mayors house. It will bring joy to your life and his.

No comments: